Smooth and juicy lips, isn’t that what we all want in the winter time? Lips that just scream 'Kiss Me'? We all do, right? Some of you might have been born lucky with soft supple lips, but are you one of those who are born with super dry lips *raises hand*?
My poor lips require quite a bit of maintenance to bring them back to life. If I don’t, I get a little OCD and “pick” at my lips *OUCH* ! It’s probably because I’m embarrassed to show my flaky chapped lips, but then of course this just makes them look worse.
I’ve discovered I can still achieve kissable, pouty lips by doing something very important… exfoliate! Hello lustrous lips!
If you’re on a budget, and don’t want to spend a lot of money for those premade lip scrubs *not to mention they have added junk*, here’s a little DIY project to help get rid of those pesky flakes! Well pucker up baby, there IS a way for those pouty, luscious lips!
Lip scrubs are quick and easy to use, not to mention how delicious they could be. Lip scrubs are hands down my favorites! They remove the dead skin, and the oils in them help nourish the lips to make them soft and smooth. Just rub some of the product onto your dry lips, enjoy the smooth aftermath, and enjoy the yummy flavor too.
Now, what’s the process you ask?
Well, it involves a steaming (but not too hot) washcloth, a soft toothbrush, some lip balm (I prefer Blistex Medicated), and some Aquaphor. I like the Aquaphor because it keeps the moisture in your lips, while allowing much needed oxygen to your lips.
· First, apply some lip balm to serve as barrier.
· Then take your steamy washcloth (remember, you DON’T want it too hot, because you may burn your lips *been there, done that and it’s not pleasant*). Place the washcloth over your lips and hold it until it start to cool down. The heat helps soften the dead skin and preps the lips for the next step.
· Next is exfoliation. Take a soft toothbrush (you may just use your finger or damp washcloth too) and start to gently rub it over your lips. This will remove all the flakes and you will be left with uber soft, smooth, kissable, pouty lips. Please note, just make sure you don’t rub too much! Otherwise you just end up with raw and sore lips.
· After you’re done brushing, *you’ll be tempted to eat the mixture – it’s pretty darn tasty* rinse your lips with warm water.
· Next, take your Aquaphor (or your favorite lip balm) and apply generously.
This little potion of perfection that I love, consists of brown sugar, honey, coconut, and a few drops of your favorite essential oils. You can omit the essential oils and still achieve luscious lips, but I like the healing properties they give as well.
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1 tablespoon of honey (I prefer local, raw honey)
*mix these two until they form a homogenous mixture*
2 teaspoons of brown sugar
*Mix everything together and if you need to, you can add some more coconut oil to smooth out and blend the mixture better.*
At this point, I recommend adding about 3 drops of doTERRA peppermint oil. Feel free to change your essential oils to suit your taste, but ONLY use those that are certified as pure essential oils, and ONLY ones that are suitable for ingestion (you can tell by looking at your bottle and if it has nutrition facts, then you know it’s okay to ingest).. I recommend doTERRA and you can order them from my website here.
You can even add about 5 drops of pure vanilla extract, to giver yours a light vanilla mint flavor!
*Want to make them even more pouty? You can even add a dash of cinnamon, or cayenne if you want to naturally “plump” your lips!*
Now that you’re done mixing, you just need to transfer to a little container.
The benefits of using honey and coconut oil is because they are known for their moisturizing properties and the brown sugar helps gently remove the dead skin.
Pucker up baby! This is all you need to achieve the perfect, soft, smooth lips! Rub some lip scrub, gently brush your lips, pop on some lip balm and embrace your new, irresistibly pouty lips!
Thanks for reading and hope you enjoy this! I’d love to see your before and after photo’s if you try this!